Saturday 3 November 2012

gadget-free salad spinner





No one likes soggy lettuce, and you certainly can’t skip washing your lettuce. Some people solve this problem with a salad spinner. I have to admit pumping a little handle up and down can be rather fun. We just don’t have room for a salad spinner in our kitchen no matter how often we like a little lettuce with our lunch.


Luckily I was helping a German friend in her small kitchen a couple of years ago, and she was making salad. She pulled out a fresh dish towel and laid her freshly washed lettuce right on top. She brought the corners into her hand like a hobo sack.

Then she just started swinging the bundled towel in a giant circle like a circus man tossing a ball of fire. Twenty seconds later, she laid the towel on the counter and opened it. The lettuce was a perfect combination of dry yet still slightly moist – just as if she used a salad spinner.



I’ve been spinning my salad this way every since. Oh – you may need to double your dishtowel to keep water from flying through the fabric as you spin.

I probably don’t spin my salad in the air with quite the enormous circles that she had. Of course, I also wonder if she really had made these wildly large arm motions like I seem to remember in my mind. After all, I was jet lagged and new to Europe. You know how crazy people get in foreign countries.
Have you picked up any tricks in the kitchen that work like a charm without having the designated gadget? Or anyone out there have another trick for the perfect lettuce? Whatever it is that makes your kitchen time (or your vegetables!) fly by, do share!



sumber dari: makingthishome.com

No comments:

Post a Comment