Friday 10 January 2014

Experimenting in the kitchen is fun




Experimenting in the kitchen is fun, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes you just want to make something tried & true. Something you know is yummy instead of something you hope is yummy, or at least edible. A few nights ago I made beet soup (beet and fennel soup actually) and it was, welllllll…I’ll  just say that Cory called it the “weirdest tasting soup” he ever had. He also noted that the texture sucked. That last part may have been was my fault. I added yogurt to the (HOT) soup and didn’t realize I should temper* it – whooops!

*tempering means that you add the yogurt (in this case) slowly, while whisking constantly, or you add a small amount of the hot (soup) to the cold (yogurt) so that the yogurt doesn’t “break” (which may or may not mean curdle…)

So, as you may have noticed, the soup recipe did not make the cut. I am planning to tweak it (and hopefully not ruin it) and I’ll post ‘soup, take two’ sometime soon!

Last night, for some reason, I just didn’t feel like gambling with dinner. A few nights before, I had made failed at making soup at 7:30/8:00pm (worked till 7, then hit Sobey’s to grab fennel on my way home). I was hungry by the time I started the soup, so it was a good thing we had leftovers kicking around!
On the other hand, this(!)…this plate of deliciousness:


pink yogurt beet salad


…this is a risk-free, old favorite that I haven’t made in way too long!



sumber dari: foodeverywhichway.com

No comments:

Post a Comment